Kenneth Ghartey is Lecturer in the University of Ghana School of Law, a lawyer and a Valuation and Estate Surveyor by training. He started his teaching career as a Lecturer in Law at Lancaster University Ghana where he later became Senior Lecturer and Head of the Law Department. He has significant corporate and commercial legal advisory and consulting experience. He has been involved in major transactions including a recent sovereign bond issue and has worked as sole Technical Consultant for the preparation of User Guides for recent Ghanaian company and insolvency legislation.
Kenneth is currently Chair of the Publications Volunteer Sub-Committee for the Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency Journal hosted by the Ghana Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Advisors. He has 5 published journal articles and 3 book chapters to his credit.
- Professional Diploma - Ghana Institution of Surveyors
- PG. Cert. (Academic Practice) – University of Lancaster, UK
- LL.M (Corporate and Commercial Law)– London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
- QCL/BL - Ghana School of Law
- LL.B - University of Ghana School of Law
- BSc. (Land Economy) - Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Company and Commercial Law
- Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency Law
- Securities Law and Regulation
- Real Estate Transactions
- Environmental and Natural Resources Compliance and Regulation
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS
- Ghana Bar Association
- Ghana Institution of Surveyors – Valuation and Estate Surveying Division
- Ghana Association of Restructuring and Insolvency Advisors
KNO Ghartey (2020), “Corporate Finance Law in Ghana: Has the law enabled business?” in Dowouna-Hammond, Hammond and Atuguba (eds), ‘Mobilizing the Law for Ghana’s future’: Appraising to Revolutionise, University of Ghana School of Law.
KNO Ghartey (2020), “Directors’ Duties under the 2019 Companies Act of Ghana” –Commonwealth Law Bulletin, Volume 46, Issue 2, 246-269.
KNO Ghartey (2019), “The Securities Holding System in Ghana after the 2007 Central Securities Depository Act”, Lancaster University Ghana Law Journal (LUGLJ) Volume 5, 115-141
KNO Ghartey (2017), “Accountants and Vigilantes: The Role of Individual Actions in the Ghanaian Supreme Court” in Addaney and Gyan Nyarko (eds), ‘Ghana @ 60: Governance and Human Rights in Twenty-First Century Africa’, Pretoria University Law Press, Centre for Human Rights, Chapter 2, 16-31
K Donkor-Hyiaman and KNO Ghartey (2017), “Legal Origins and Mortgage Finance Contradictions” with Kenneth Donkor-Hyiaman, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis, Vol. 10, No. 1, 156-179
Online Blog Articles
K Ghartey, “The Death of the Statutory Corporation”, <ghanalawhub.com>, February 28, 2019
K Ghartey, “Regulating Related Party Activities in Ghanaian Banking”, <ghanalawhub.com, February 18, 2019
K Ghartey, “Are the Directors of the Failed Banks in Serious Trouble?, <ghanalawhub.com>, August 7, 2018
K Ghartey, “What, in Law, has Happened to the Five Collapsed Banks?”, <ghanalawhub.com>, August 6, 2018