Prof. Raymond Atuguba is the Dean of, and an Associate Professor at the University of Ghana School of Law.
Prof. Atuguba has been a Visiting Professor of Law and the Henry J. Steiner Visiting Professor of Human Rights at Harvard Law School; a James Souverine Gallo Memorial Fellow at Harvard University; a Jennifer Oppenheimer Fellow at Harvard University; a Graduate Fellow at Harvard Law School; a Sheila Biddle Ford Foundation Fellow at the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University; and a Visiting Scholar at the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom. Additionally, he has been a Visiting Professor at the Ku Leuven University in Belgium, the Sciences Po University in Paris, France, and at the Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.
Prof. Atuguba has researched and published extensively, mostly in relation to the intersections of law, human rights, policy, governance, the politics and economics of development, institutions and institutional change.
- EMBA- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), Accra, Ghana
- SJD- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, USA
- LLM - Harvard Law School, Cambridge, USA
- BL - Ghana School of Law, Accra, Ghana
- LLB - University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Constitutional and Administrative Law
- Policy, Law and Development
- Human Rights
- Community Organising
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2021). ‘The Fight Against Poverty and The Right to Development: The Ghana National Chapter’. In : Andenas Mads, Perelman Jeremy, Scharling, Christian (eds.) The Fight Against Poverty and the Right to Development: Springer International Publishing.
- Dowuona-Hammond, Christine; Hammond, Ama; and Atuguba, Raymond A., (2020). Mobilising the Law for Ghana’s Future: Appraising to Revolutionise. Wildly, Simmonds and Hill Publishing. UK
- Atuguba, Raymond A. & Kpessa, Michael W. (2020). ‘Getting to the Roots: Constitutional Rules and the Zero- Sum Politics of Winner-Takes-All in Ghana’, Journal of Law, Policy and Globalization (In Press).
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2020). ‘The Concept of Sovereignty in Ghanaian Constitutionalism’, International Journal of Human Rights and Constitutional Studies. 7(1): 52-82
- Atuguba, Raymond A. & Tuokuu, Francis X. (2020). ‘Ghana's Renewable Energy Agenda: Legislative Drafting in Search of Policy Paralysis’. Energy Research & Social Science. 64(101453)
- Atuguba, Raymond A., Tuokuu, Francis X. D. & Gbang, Vitus (2020). ‘Statelessness in West Africa: An Assessment of Stateless Populations and Legal, Policy, and Administrative Frameworks in Ghana’. Journal on Migration and Human Security. 8(1): 14-31
- Dowuona-Hammond, Christine, Atuguba, Raymond A., & Tuokuu, Francis X. D. (2020). ‘Women’s Survival in Ghana: What Has Law Got to Do With It?’ SAGE Open Journal.
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2019). ‘Homosexuality in Ghana: Morality, Law, Human Rights’, Journal of Politics and Law. 12(4): 113-126.
- Atuguba, Raymond A. and Asabagna, C. (2019). “Ghana: Environment & Climate Change Law 2019 ». In : The International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment & Climate Change Law 2019 : A practical cross-border insight into environment and climate change law. London : Global Legal Group. pp. 112-117.
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2016). ‘S.K.B Asante and the Half-Decade Debate on Resource Nationalism in the Developing World : A look at Ghana's Oil Resources’. In : Richard
- Oppong and Kissi Adjebeng (eds.) A Commitment to Law, Development and Public Policy: A Festschrift in Honour of Nana Dr. SKB Asante London: Wildy, Simmonds & Hill Publishing. pp. 491-510.
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2015). ‘Civil Society : The Key to Ghana’s Democratic Transformation and Consolidation’. In : Benjamin Olagboye (ed). Civil Society and Development in West Africa: Practitioners’ Perspective pp. 69-77.
- Sowatey, Emmanuel A. and Atuguba, Raymond A. (2014). ‘Community Policing in Accra : the complexities of local notions of (in)security and (in)justice”. In : Peter Albrecht & Helene Kyed (eds). Policing and Politics. New York : Routledge. pp. 74 – 90.
- Vormawor, Mawuse H. and Atuguba, Raymond A. (2014). ‘Civil Society and Constitutional Reform in Africa : A Case of Ghana’. In : Tyanai Masiya and Charles Mutasa, (eds.), Civil Society and Constitutional Reforms in Africa, Harare : Mwengo Press. pp. 58-97.
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2013). ‘The Right to Health in Ghana : Healthcare, Human Rights, and Politics”. In : Stephen P. Marks, Jose M. Zuniga & Lawrence O. Gostin (eds.) Advancing the Human Right to Health. Oxford : Oxford University Press. pp. 100-111
- Atuguba, Raymond A. (2013). “Equality, Non-Discrimination and Fair Distribution of the Benefits of Development”. In: Stephen P. Marks, (ed), Realizing the Right to Development: Essays in Commemoration of 25 Years of the United Nations Declaration on the Right to Development. Geneva : United Nations Publications. pp.109-116. Also published as: “Igualdad, no discriminación y distribución equitativa de los beneficios del desarrollo”, Realización del Derecho al Desarrollo. (Naciones Unidas).