History of School of Law

The University Of Ghana School Of Law (UGSoL) was first established as a Department of the Faculty of Social Studies in the 1958/59 academic year and attained a Faculty status in the 1960/61 academic year. In 1959, the first Law students were admitted to the University. In 1971, the Faculty of Law introduced the Master of Laws (LL.M) programme. The University also restructured the existing first degree programmes to introduce depth and range in its courses. Students were offered three (3) subjects, one of which was dropped in the second year, while two (2) were combined or one was majored in respectively. This created the flexibility to adopt the BA/LL.B to enable other students in BA programmes within the University to combine Law and other subjects.
 
Over time, the University revised its arrangements and decided that Law should be a Post-First Degree programme. This was partially in response to the introduction of the Senior High School system in the country leading to the dropping of the A- Level system. This arrangement was later revised in 2012 to introduce direct entry for SHS students. The SHS intakes pursue the programme over a period of four (4) years while the Post-First Degree programme, which used to be two years has recently been revised to three years (with effect from the 2018/2019 academic year). The LL.B therefore has two (2) Options – The Direct Entry Option and the Post-First Degree Entry Option.
 
The Master of Laws programmes currently offered in the School of Law include the following:
  • LL.M Oil and Gas Law
  • LL.M Alternative Dispute Resolution
  • MA Alternative Dispute Resolution
  • MA Human Rights and Administration
The School had had an existing Doctor of Laws (PhD) programme but which had remained inactive for a long time until it graduated a candidate in 2012. The University has approved a revised PhD programme which has been submitted to the National Accreditation Board for approval.